The MentorsOnline browser extension works. I can now display content in a small panel…right there, in the browser.
That widget can display
- instructions for the student
- information about the current web page
- key vocabulary terms with definitions
- content imported from remote LMS
- a chat room interface
- links to other websites
That widget can present almost any type of content to students. It is like having a browser-in-browser display. (Similar to picture-in picture in a television.)
Various ideas bubbled up while developing this prototype, including some features that might be useful*. The challenge is to avoid feature creep, to create a tool that adheres to Google’s single purpose policy.
* For example, this tool could detect assigned vocabulary terms in any webpage and highlight those terms, providing a definition in a tool-tip pop-up. (See simulation here.)
Now that I know what this tool can do, the central question becomes…
“What do we want it to do?”